“The
Millennials are a generation that has hope for the future.” We the people of
this generation hold the success of this culture, environment and civilization.
We are the key that has the opportunity to open the doors to a better tomorrow.
But we cannot achieve these certain goals if we cannot make ourselves a good
Prosumers.
Last
January 29, 2015, Mr. Toni Tiemsin, Editor-in-Chief of SubSelfie.com, and
former Executive Producer for GMA News hourly bulletin gave us a brief seminar
about Mobilizing the millenials as Socially Responsible Prosumer.
It’s my
second time to attend a seminar like this, a seminar about being a good
prosumer, so I quickly thought that it would be the same just like the previous
seminar. Turns out I am wrong. He gave us so many tips, for me it’s very very
very helpful, I don’t know if the other students consider those tips as useful.
But for me, it’s very essential.
“We use
social media for entertainment.” Yes, Sir Toni is right; we use social media as
entertainment. Some concrete examples are the videos we watch at Facebook, The
so called “Memes” we see at our news feeds, and when we watch something at
YouTube.
Social
Media has pros and cons as Sir Toni said. And that is something we should
consider; especially “Virtual Identity”. Well, that is something mysterious. Imagine
a lot of people posting in the net without stating their name. it’s the Power
of Anonymity, living a lie and being the lie, and mistaken identity.
Philippine
media is there to inform us and educate us. If you set aside the flaws and
imperfections of media, you can really see how it helps us with our everyday
lives. Remember, without the media, there would be no reporting of news, there
would be no shows to entertain us and there would be no discussions on
pertinent issues that may affect the society and individual lives.
The
most important part of the seminar (for me) is the part wherein Sir Toni tells
us some facts and tips about news like what makes up a good news such as
Timeliness, Human Interest, Significance, Proximity and Prominence. Knowing that
Sir Toni is excellent in his profession, he shared his own experiences inside
the news room and outside of it.
![]() |
| Me, Ms. Kareen, Olivia, and Mr. Toni |
I have
attended many seminars but so far, this is the greatest. I am a current news
writer of RAMPage, Asia Pacific College’s official newspaper, and this is very
helpful for me. I can say that this is very essential for me for I am student
that’s in the midst of learning. And as for being a social media user, I learned
how to be a better prosumer. Stay well=informed and well-rounded, check! Be an
intelligent producer-consumer, check! Maintain sensitivity, check! THINK OF
YOUR "KAPWA", CHECK!


No comments:
Post a Comment